Friday, December 16, 2011

Dec 16 -- Final Nutplates on Main Spar

This is going to seem like a weird post because the only progress is 6 nutplates. However they were a Big Deal in terms of hassle.

For starters, the nutplates are on the drawing but I can't find any reference to them in the instructions. Other RV-9 blogs voice a similar concern. So hopefully they are installed correctly!

The countersink cage wouldn't fit into some corners, and I spent several days and trips to the store looking for creative workarounds. Then I found the tool. In my tool box! Doh... There's a photo of the bad boy below.

Also, some of those rivets look funky. However when I carefully checked them, they are actually just fine other than one that is countersunk 0.001" deep.

At any rate, we'll call this 3 hours of work, but that's a lie on the way low end of time wasted. Looks like it's on to the rear spar next.

Total Time: 3 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment